Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kay LiCausi is a Lobbyist, an incredible new mom and a powerhouse for all businesses. Listen in...

Meet Kay LiCausi
Hoboken Strategy Group
www.hobokenstrategy.com

Ladies and gents. Today's your lucky day. If you don't know what a lobbyist is, you will certainly get the answer you need in Kay's feature. Kay LiCausi is what we like to call- an incredi-woman. She's a single mom and a true believer in city government. She's the one that actually knows many of the laws and how they can reflect positively towards people and communities. She hangs out at Kidville and enjoys a good steak at Dino's, but when she's not changing diapers or dining uptown, she's lobbying for you- which is exactly why you need to learn about the business lifestyle of Kay LiCausi, the Lobbyist.

Kay, tell us what inspires you?
Three things. First and foremost, my beautiful daughter Lily. She's 13 months old and every time I look at her, I am inspired to be a better person. Second, true public service. I believe that government can and should help people and that by working together we can make NJ a better place. Finally, my late mom. She was an amazing beautiful, kind, giving person. She's my role model and I miss her every day.

What strengths do you personally bring to the table as an influential woman in business?
My determination. My motto is Winston Churchill's "Never, Never, Never Give Up." I hate the word no. There is always a path to success, you just have to find it.

What is the latest obstacle you’ve had to overcome and how did you do it?
Balancing work and motherhood. I am a single mother-by-choice and I run my own business, so my life is busy! Lily makes me happier than I ever dreamed possible, she is a dream come true.

What makes you rush out of bed in the morning for your job that’s different from other industries?
Not many people know what a lobbyist is. I help businesses interact with government. If a business has a need they come to me to help find a solution. First, you have to define your message and what you are asking for (sometimes it is not as easy as it sounds!). Then, you have to find the right person to be your advocate and help them help you. I see myself as a translator. Government and business speak very different languages. I build coalitions and try and reach consensus, so that everyone walks away happy.

Your favorite part of your job is...
Helping people. I'm a fixer. When someone tells me a problem, personal or work related, I immediately think of ways they can fix it, even if they aren't asking for advice. In my head, I think "these are the steps they should be taking." I love my job. Every day and every meeting is different and exciting. I'm constantly learning and striving for success for my clients.

What are some cool new ideas in your business that we can share with our readers?
This isn't directly related to my business, but to my passion - electing women to office. Did you know that the Center for American Woman and Politics is hosting their amazing Ready to Run Campaign Training for Women? It's March 9th and 10th in New Brunswick. See what it is all about at:
http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/education_training/ReadytoRun/RtoR_New_Jersey.php

And now for the good part. Let's see what Kay loves about the mile square town.

Your favorite restaurant in Hoboken is...
I can't limit it to one! Sitting at the bar at Augustinos; the polenta and cheesecake at Amanda's; french fries at Cafe Elysian; the ropa vieja at La Isla; and the steak at Dino and Harrys!

Your favorite hangout in Hoboken?
Kidville!!! Lily loves loves loves it! She thinks she runs the place!

Your favorite Sinatra song?
Mr Sinatra reminds me of my late father. He would torture me with his singing. I was constantly taking microphones out of his hand. My dad had a wonderful sense of humor, any Sinatra song invokes a good memory.

Are you a Baseball fan? It was started right here in our town??
I am a Yankee fan, have been since birth. I only get to one game a year, but I make the most of it! Speaking of sports, we have to give a shout out to all the Giants, Devils and Metrostars players living in Hoboken - go team!!

What’s your tagline for Hoboken, the City?
I love Hoboken. I have been here for 14 years. I currently live in Maxwell and work a few blocks away. The Northeast of Hoboken is my little corner of the world. Everything I ever need is in a five block radius. Kings, restaurants, Kidville, parks, the waterfront walkway, boutiques and my Starbucks! I'll never leave. So, in a sentence, "Hoboken has it all!"

Yes, it does. And it has YOU- our Lobbyist. Thank you for engaging us with your business. It's always nice to learn the ins and outs of city government because it's not always something we take to a conversation over tea. We're inspired and we support you! Thank you for doing your justice to the town. Keep going! If you see Kay around town, give her a high five.

No comments:

Post a Comment